Thursday, October 08, 2009

Rally tour



The first full day of our Rally was filled with tours.  We visited Frogmore Plantation, an 1800-acre working cotton plantation, with 18 restored antebellum structures that date from the early 1800's. Along with the history of the early Natchez planters and their slaves, the tour includes a rare Smithsonian quality steam cotton gin.







On our way to the old gin.



Another guide showed us through the cooking cabin.




I apologize for the sideways photo--unable to change it here . . . guess I should have turned it before I imported it to the blog.  Anyway, this lady and her husband own Frogmore, which is still a working cotton plantation.  They both gave very informative talks and a video was shown explaining the cotton growing and production processes.
If you'd like more information on "Cotton Then & Now," check out their website:  http://www.frogmoreplantation.com/

No comments:

Search This Blog

Blog Archive